Job Title: Country Head: USA (Five-year Fixed Term Contract)
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reporting to: Chief Marketing Officer
Salary: R1 024 922,00 – R1 281 153,00 (TCTC) per annum
Paterson level: D4
Ref no: 3
Contribute to the development of the reputation management, marketing, and communications strategies by delivering the Global Markets Programme in the market. This includes promoting South Africa as a competitive destination by managing and implementing the brand and communications programmes in partnership with relevant stakeholders.
• Positioning and promoting South Africa as a competitive business destination by managing and implementing brand marketing and communications programmes in partnership with various stakeholders (business, govt, civil society & media).
• Build nation brand awareness and positive image and nation brand advocacy amongst South Africans in the diaspora.
• Conceptualise and implement Nation brand promotion and positioning related to projects and initiatives.
• Contribute to the enhancement of the Global Markets strategy with emphasis on the US and related markets in the region.
• Establish and manage Brand South Africa’s administrative operations in the market including building a stakeholder database on behalf of the organisation.
• Building and maintaining media relations in the markets.
• Impact based reporting on implemented projects and initiatives.
• Impact based reporting.
• Bachelor’s degree in political science /marketing / business management, Communications or equivalent.
• Postgraduate degree in Political Science / Marketing / Communications / Business Management/ MBA will be an added advantage.
• 10+ years combined experience in Marketing/ Communications/ Public Relations/ Stakeholder Relations at a senior/management level (of which 5 years must be at a senior management level).
• International experience or function in an international coordination role.
• Thorough knowledge of the workings of the business and macro-economic environment (domestic and international).
• General understanding of the political and legislative environment (domestic and international).
• Understanding the socio-economic environment (domestic and international).
• Working knowledge of systems and processes and how they contribute to organisational performance.
• SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Based in market / willing to travel regularly.
Key Performance Areas:
1. Lead on the development of a programme specific in-market marketing, communications and reputation management strategy that translates to an implementation plan.
• With reference to Brand South Africa’s strategic business plan, unpack and develop projects and activities to activate the delivery of initiatives /campaigns, in line with the integrated marketing and communications strategy relevant to the market.
• Responsible for the visibility and presence of the Nation Brand in the market.
• Establish relationships with the relevant and influential stakeholders, decision-makers and thought leaders to influence favourable perceptions about the country in the market.
2. Proactive assessment of market needs in line with the market strategy for organisational plans to be implemented effectively, with support from Head Office.
• Utilise market intelligence and information to inform initiatives to be undertaken suitable to the changing environment to ensure buy-in from various sectors and partners.
Page 3 of 5
• Continuously scanning of the environment, for refinement, amendment, and adaptability in order to be responsive and agile to market needs.
• Provide in market insights (market, political, interest, and business) to Head Office.
3. Build, maintain and enhance relations with key stakeholders in-market toward the promotion of the nation brand.
• Identify and develop a stakeholder network to collaborate with towards the promotion of the Nation Brand reputation, domestically and internationally.
• Build, update and maintain a stakeholder database (media, business, policy makers, civil society, and Global South Africans).
4. Risk Management
• Active participation in the risk review process through identification of emerging risks in the market.
• Ongoing monitoring and mitigating existing risks in the area of responsibility (operational risks).
5. Ensure compliance, monitoring and reporting on performance and operational plan execution.
• Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the stakeholder-implemented initiatives (including risks).
• Quarterly reporting in accordance with the contracted performance measurement and business plan scorecard of the organisation.
• Continuously scan the wider public policy environment to identify and exploit opportunities for future opportunities supportive of the strategic aims of Brand South Africa, this includes developing leads to establish relationships with public policymakers and influencers collaborative efforts (e.g., new international relations strategy, diplomacy rules for sectors and geographic regions).
• Ensure adherence to the corporate identity, copyright, representation, referencing, required to protect the organisation’s image, reputation and to ensure brand alignment.
• Monitor resource spend and financial expenditure in accordance with the approved project plans.
• Provide timely input into the organisational statutory documents (strategic plan, performance plan, quarterly reports, and the Annual Report).
6. Financial management/oversight
• Budget planning through effective budget management in line with allocated budget.
• Expenditure management which includes tracking and monitoring.
• Compliance with Head Office SCM & Finance processes.
7. Staff management and development
• Where applicable, develop and coach appropriate individuals, providing sufficient direction so desired business outcomes can be achieved.
• Implement Brand South Africa policies and procedures as required.
• Provide direct reports (and or project resources) with leadership, direction, coaching and mentoring to achieve work objectives to improve performance and skills.
• Build and manage relationship with staff members.
• Manage risks and address issues as the arise.
• Performance Management (where applicable)
Required Technical Skills, Competencies and Attributes
• Strategy Development and insight
• Excellent business acumen, i.e., strategic ability
• Excellent Presentation skills
• Media Management skills, i.e. (Understanding of the media landscape in the market, building and maintaining relationships with influential media as well as own media database)
• Stakeholder mapping and management skills
• Competent in Project Management and lateral leadership
• Excellent proposal and account / portfolio planning ability as well as strategic reporting.
• Results oriented (output-driven
• Thorough and excellent follow-through ability
• Willingness to work extended hours and travel substantively (within and across borders)
• Ability to perform under pressure.
• Above average level of perceptiveness and discernment
• Networking ability,
Brand South Africa is committed to ensuring and maintaining workplace diversity and the attainment of employment equity, having due regard to qualifications and appropriate experience. Brand South Africa encourages applications from African Males, Indian Males and Females, Colored Males and Females, White Males and Females as well as people with disabilities
Please note that certified copies of qualifications will be requested from the shortlisted candidates ONLY.
The processing of your personal information by Brand South Africa will be done in accordance with the POPI Act 4 of 2013. Correspondence will only be limited to shortlisted candidates. Brand South Africa reserves the right not to make an appointment.
To apply for this position, submit a comprehensive CV to: email@example.com
Please quote the position reference number on the subject line. The closing date for applications is 01 December 2023.
For enquiries please contact: Ms Lesedi Khalo on (011) 483 0122.
*Should you not hear from us within three months from the closing date please consider your application unsuccessful.