WHO WE ARE
Brand South Africa is the official marketing agency of South Africa, with a mandate to build the country’s brand reputation, in order to improve its global competitiveness. Brand South Africa’s primary focus is to develop and implement proactive, coordinated marketing and communications reputation management strategies for South Africa. Our main objective is to market South Africa to both domestic and international audiences, positioning South Africa as a competitive investment destination, and inspiring and instilling active citizenship amongst South Africans.
Brand South Africa was established in August 2002 to help create a positive and compelling brand image for South Africa. At that time the world was unsure what to think of South Africa, with many different messages being sent by various sources. This did very little to build the country’s brand and it was evident that to attract tourism and investment there was a need to coordinate marketing initiatives to make them more effective.
This led to the creation of Brand South Africa, whose main objective is to market South Africa.
There are many benefits to having a consolidated brand image, with the most important being a consistent Brand South Africa message to create strategic advantages in terms of trade and tourism for the country in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
Developing and articulating a South African Nation Brand identity that will advance South Africa’s long-term positive reputation and global competitiveness.
Seeking the involvement and cooperation of various stakeholders in building awareness and the image of the Nation Brand domestically and internationally.
Seeking to build individual alignment to the Nation Brand in South Africa, and pride and patriotism amongst South Africans.
A Nation Brand that inspires it’s people and is admired globally.
To develop and implement proactive-and coordinated marketing, communication and reputation management strategies for South Africa. The ultimate aim is to make a contribution towards economic growth, job creation, poverty alleviation and social cohesion by encouraging local and foreign investment, tourism and trade through the promotion of Brand South Africa
Inspire and unify civil society, business, government and the media to build the reputation of South Africa, and contribute to it’s global competitiveness.
Mr Mondli Gungubele
Minister in the Presidency of South Africa
Brand South Africa Board of Trustees
Ms Thandi Tobias
Chairperson of the Brand SA Board of Trustees
Ms Tobias matriculated at Phiritona Secondary school and obtained an advanced diploma in Economic Policy from the University of the Western Cape. She also attained a Certificate in Economics and Public Finance from UNISA as well as a certificate in Leadership Communication from Rhodes University.Career history:
- Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry, responsible for international trade;
- Chairperson of the standing Committee on Defence between 2005 and 2007;
- Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Public Works between 2007 and 2009;
- Whip of Standing Committee on Finance between 2017 and 2019;
- Member of Standing Committee on Public Accounts between 2004 and 2005;
- Member of Adhoc Committee on Auditor-General in 2004;
- Member of Parliament between 2004 and 2019;
- Deputy Director Youth Development DTEEA between 2001 and 2004;
- Community Based Organiser;
- Former Member ANC NEC;
- Former Member ANC Youth League NEC;
- Anti-Piracy Campaign – Buy local campaign
- Brand South Africa
- Lure Investment
- Pursue Economic Growth
- Be a game changer
Mr Jacques Bushang Modipane
Ms Rachel Kalidass
Mr Andrew Madella
Ms Sisanda Bukeka Nkoala
Dr Stavros Nicolaou
Stavros Nicolaou is the Aspen Pharmacare Group’s Senior Executive responsible for Strategic Trade Development. Previously he was CEO of Aspen’s Export Business. Aspen is Africa’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturer and a now world leader in Anaesthetics and injectable anti-coagulants. Aspen is one of South Africa’s most globalised multinational companies with a presence in over 50 geographies globally, with 26 manufacturing facilities across 6 continents. He was instrumental in introducing the first generic ARV’s on the African Continent developed by Aspen, which has gone on to save hundreds of thousands of lives in South Africa and on the African Continent.Nicolaou has over 28 years’ experience in the South African and International Pharmaceutical Industry and is a previous winner of the SA Institute of Marketing Management (IMM) Health Care Marketer of the year Award. He was inducted as one of the youngest Fellow of the Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa (PSSA), one of the highest honours bestowed by the PSSA, and was recently awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Science in Medicine from Wits University.He has previously and continues to serve on a number of Industry & associated structures, some of which include:
- Chairman of the Public Health Enhancement Fund (PHEF) – A joint collaboration between the Private Health Sector and the Minister of Health
- Re-appointed for a third term by President Cyril Ramaphosa, to the Board of Brand South Africa
- Appointed to the Government-Business 6-a-side on the President’s Health Compact
- Elected to the NEDLAC 5-a-side on the National Health Insurance (NHI)
- Appointed to the Trade and Industry Minister’s export panel on devising an export strategy for South Africa
- Appointed by the Minister of Public Enterprise, Alec Erwin as Chairman of the Board of SA Express Airways (2005-2009)
- Appointed by the Minister of Public Enterprises, to the Board of Transnet Ltd. (2004-2010)
- Appointed by MEC’s for Economic Development, as a Director of the Gauteng Growth and Development Agency (GGDA), (for 2 Consecutive Terms). He Chaired the Trade and Investment Committee of the Board of the GGDA.
- Appointed by the Ministers of Public Enterprise, as Chairman of the Board of SA Express Airways (2005-2009)
- Appointed by the Minister of Trade and Industry, Dr Rob Davies, to serve on the BRICS Business Council. He was recently reappointed to the Council for a second term.
- Appointed by the Minister of Trade and Industry, Dr Rob Davies, to serve on the Special Economic Zones (SEZ) Advisory Board.
- Appointed by the Minister of Trade and Industry, to the Board of Proudly South Africa and presently chairs the Marketing Committee of the Board.
- Presently serve on the Executive and Management Committee of NEDLAC (National Economic Development and Labour Council)
- Elected as a Non-Executive Director of Business Unity South Africa (BUSA), South Africa’s apex business organisation and serves on its Remuneration Committee.
- Elected Chairman of the South African Pharmaceutical Producers Association (PHARMISA) and as Chairman of the Pharmaceutical Task Group (PTG), overall Pharmaceutical Industry Umbrella Organisation.
- Appointed to World Bank/IFC Technical Advisory Board on the strengthening of African Health Systems.
- Served on the IBSA (India Brazil South Africa) CEO’s Forum and the India – SA CEO Council
- He is part of the CEO Initiative, that was set up as a joint collaboration between the Presidency, Ministry of Finance and BLSA (Business Leadership South Africa).
- He was appointed as an Honorary Lecturer to Wits University, accredited to the Faculty of Health Science.
- Appointed as a Director on the North-West University (NWU) Business School Advisory Board (2014 to present)
- Previously served as Vice-President of the International Pharmaceutical Students Federation (IPSF).
- He was awarded, the Order of the Lion of St Mark by the Greek Orthodox Pope and Patriarch, Theodoros II.
He has been a speaker at a number of conferences, including the Economist Roundtable, the World Economic Forum (WEF) and recently delivered a lecture on ARV developments at the Raigon Institute, a JV between Harvard Medical School and the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Mr George Sebulela
Advanced Management Programme – INSEAD(France),
Board Development Programme – Gordon Institute of Business Science(GIBS),
BA (Com) – Fort Hare University (UFH), Leadership Development Programme – Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS), Principles of Business Management – Wits Business School, Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing – Institute of Marketing Management, (IMM) Leverage Finance – Fitch (UK)Mr George Sebulela is currently the President and Chief Executive of Sebvest Holdings a global Financial Services Group & with Strategic Investments in various companies. He was an Executive Committee Member (EXCO) and Head of Empowerment Division of ABSA Capital responsible for Government, Empowerment and Public Infrastructure Finance.
Ms Muditambi Ravele
Mr Mlungisi Johnson
Professor Ylva Rodny-Gumede
Ms Loretta Jacobus
Ms. Jacobus was born, bred and schooled in Port Elizabeth (EC). She studied Social Work at the University of the Western Cape. Her work experience spans from Social work to teaching where she has gained vast knowledge and skill. She expanded that skill through having worked in NGO’s and Community Based Organisation’s (Advice Centres) and Organisations such as NUMSA and MERG (Macro Economic Research Group). She is a Former Deputy Minister of Correctional Services. She was a Member of the Gauteng Provincial Legislature. She served in National Parliament from 1999-2014, having served in various Portfolio Committees, amongst others: 1999-2004 (NCOP):
- Social Services (Education, Health, Home Affairs) – Chairperson 2004-2014:
- Foreign Affairs (Committee Whip)
- Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence (Committee Whip)
- Arts and Culture (Chairperson
She currently also serves on the following foundations:
- Vesta Smith Education
- The Great Foundation (with Lucky Mazibuko as the founder)
|CEO’s OFFICE||Sithembile Ntombela||Chief Executive Officer (Acting)|
|MARKETING||Thoko Modise||Chief Marketing Officer (Acting)|
|Sithembile Ntombela||GM: Marketing|
|Thoko Modise||GM: Communications|
|Mpumi Mabuza||GM: Stakeholder Relations|
|Tshepiso Malele||Marketing Manager|
|Matalane Ngobeni||Manager: Digital and New Media|
|Shamiso Hlatshwayo||Research Manager|
|George Khoza||Strategic Relationship Manager – Business|
|Mudunwazi Baloyi||Country Head: USA|
|Pumela Salela||Country Head: UK|
|Strategic Relationship Manager: Civil Society|
|FINANCE||Khathutshelo Maposa||Chief Financial Officer (Acting)|
|Lwandile Masango||Human Capital Manager|
|Tebogo Gaokgorwe||IT Manager|
LEGAL & BOARD SECRETARIAT
|Adv Sifiso S Nyoni||Director: Governance, Legal & Board Secretariat|
Brand South Africa is a Schedule 3A public entity, registered as a trust in terms of the Trust Property Control Act No. 57 of 1988. The organisation’s Executive Authority is the Minister of Communications.
Public Finance Management Act No. 1 of 1999 (as amended) and the National Treasury Regulations, 2005 (as amended).
All trustees are appointed by the President of the Republic of South Africa for a three-year term. The board of trustees meets at least four times a year. The trustees are non-executive. The CEO is an ex officio executive trustee in terms of the Trust Deed
The board is unitary and has the following committees which were set up to facilitate the fulfilment of its fiduciary duties and stewardship:
- Human Resources/Remuneration & Social and Ethics Committee (HR/REM & SECO);
- Audit and Risk Committee (ARCO); and
- Marketing Committee (MARCO).
All the board committees are made up of members of the board; executive management only attends by invitation. All committees are empowered to obtain external and independent professional advice whenever they consider it necessary to carry out their duties and are chaired by non-executive trustees. ARCO also consists of two independent non-executive members who are not trustees.
The Director: Governance, Legal and Board Secretariat serves as the secretary to the board.
Annual Report 2020/2021
The period under review was indeed a challenge and we were faced with never-before experienced circumstances, which I am exceedingly proud to say the…